Our stone cottage sits along the a buffalo trail, named Alanant-o-Wamiowee by the Shawnee, created by bison centuries before the arrival of Native Americans. It is the site of Martin's Station, named after the intrepid explorer John Martin who lived on the land in 1775. Five years later, Martin's Station was the site of the second-to-last battle of the American Revolutionary War in 1780.
In 1783, James Garrard arrived in Kentucky and settled along Stoner Creek at this site he named "Fairfield". Sometime between 1783 and 1785, he built the stone house at which was held, in 1785, the very first court meeting of the newly created Bourbon County, Virginia. Kentucky gained statehood in 1792, and James Garrard was elected governor in 1796. While his father was occupied with the business of building a new state, James Garrard, Jr. took over the agricultural responsibilities of Mount Lebanon and Fairfield and lived in the original stone house until his death in 1838.